• Home  
  • Trump Directs Pentagon To Reduce US-South Korea Military Drills
- Global News

Trump Directs Pentagon To Reduce US-South Korea Military Drills

US President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to significantly scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, citing the financial cost of the drills, Seoul’s position on the Iran conflict and his diplomatic relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump announced the decision on Sunday, shortly before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield […]

US President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to significantly scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, citing the financial cost of the drills, Seoul’s position on the Iran conflict and his diplomatic relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Trump announced the decision on Sunday, shortly before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were scheduled to begin. He said he was unhappy with Washington’s participation and argued that the drills could send a hostile signal to Pyongyang.

Despite the announcement, South Korea’s military said the exercises began as planned on Monday. About 18,000 South Korean troops are expected to participate in the drills, which are scheduled to continue until August 27.

South Korea’s presidential office said it was reviewing Trump’s comments and would continue discussions with Washington on their joint defence arrangements. Seoul also expressed hope that Trump’s relationship with Kim could help create an opportunity for renewed dialogue and greater stability on the Korean Peninsula.

Trump has repeatedly questioned the cost of US military commitments in South Korea, where about 28,500 American troops are stationed. He has also pushed Seoul to contribute more towards the cost of maintaining the US military presence.

North Korea has consistently criticised the joint exercises, describing them as preparations for an invasion. Pyongyang has continued its missile programme, including recent ballistic missile launches.

Analysts say Trump’s latest decision could be aimed at opening another diplomatic channel with North Korea, particularly as Pyongyang strengthens military cooperation with Russia.

The move also comes amid broader tensions between Washington and Seoul over defence spending and economic commitments. South Korea agreed last year to invest $350 billion in the United States as part of a trade agreement that reduced US tariffs on South Korean automobiles, but detailed investment plans have yet to be announced.

It remains unclear how extensively the Pentagon will reduce the exercises or which aspects of the ongoing drills will be affected.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About Us

ADBN TV is a dynamic digital broadcasting platform committed to delivering credible news, inspiring stories, and engaging programmes that inform, educate, and connect communities across Nigeria and beyond.

Email Us: info@adbntv.com

Contact: +234 (0)703 670 7787

ADBNTV.  2026. All Rights Reserved.