spot_imgspot_img
spot_img

“No Nigerian Life Lost in Sudan Crises” — Minister

Date:

The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Zubairu Dada, on Wednesday, said no Nigerian life has been lost so far in the crisis engulfing Sudan.

He stated this at a media briefing after the Federal Executive Council Meeting, adding that the Federal Government had already perfected plans to evacuate over 5,000 citizens in the war-torn country.

He stated that the first batch of Nigerians are being conveyed as of Wednesday, noting that citizens will be conveyed via buses through Egypt and consequently airlifted.

Diplomats, women and children are to be prioritised in the evacuation process.

Eleven days of heavy fighting until Monday has killed hundreds of people, left bodies rotting in the streets, and some neighbourhoods of greater Khartoum in ruins.

The latest conflict is between forces loyal to army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan against those of his former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, who commands the heavily armed paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

The RSF emerged from the Janjaweed militia that then-president Omar al-Bashir unleashed in the Darfur region two decades ago, leading to war crimes charges against Bashir and others.

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Police Rescue Kidnapped Victim, Neutralize One Suspect in Akwa Ibom

A 63-year-old retired Shell Petroleum Company Worker, abducted and...

Gunmen Kidnap Driver and Police Orderly of Traditional Ruler in Port Harcourt

Gunmen have kidnapped a driver and police orderly working...

Customs Intercepts Illicit Drug Cargo Valued at Millions of Naira in Onne Port

Nigeria Customs Service says contraband drugs worth millions of...

Federal Government Unveils Plans for Solid Minerals Sector to Boost Foreign Reserve

The federal government says the Solid Minerals Sector and...