Terrorists Kill 32 Farmers, Abduct Scores, Burn Homes In Niger’s Borgu LGA

Date:

No fewer than 32 farmers were feared killed on Saturday after terrorists launched coordinated attacks on several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, abducting residents and setting homes and public facilities ablaze.

The affected communities include Tunga-Makeri, Konsoko and Pissa, all located in the Borgu axis of the state.

Residents said the first attack occurred around 3:00 a.m. at Tunga-Makeri in Konkoso Ward, where at least six farmers were killed by heavily armed assailants who stormed the village while residents were asleep.

According to eyewitness accounts, the attackers later moved to Konsoko and Pissa communities at about 6:00 a.m., firing sporadically and unleashing further violence that reportedly left 26 more people dead. Several buildings were torched during the raids, including a police outpost.

Sources said the exact casualty figure from the attack on Pissa community in the Kabe/Pissa axis remains unclear, as many residents fled into nearby bushes and farmlands to escape the violence.

A resident, Hassan Abdullahi, told journalists that the attackers were more than 200 in number and operated freely for several hours without resistance.

“They came in large numbers and attacked from early morning till about 10:00 a.m. These communities are far from security formations. The nearest is the Nigerian Air Force base in New Bussa, about 200 kilometres away,” he said.

Confirming the incident, the spokesperson of the Niger State Police Command, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said the attack on Tunga-Makeri occurred around 3:00 a.m. on Saturday.

He confirmed that six people were killed in the community, some houses were set on fire and an unspecified number of residents were abducted.

Abiodun also confirmed that the assailants later moved to Konsoko village, noting that details of that attack were still sketchy as of the time of reporting.

“On 14/2/2026 at about 6:00 a.m., a report was received that suspected bandits invaded Tunga-Makeri village via Shafachi District in Borgu LGA at about 3:00 a.m. During the attack, six persons lost their lives, some houses were set ablaze, and a yet-to-be-ascertained number of persons were abducted,” he said.

He added that joint security teams had been deployed to the affected areas to assess the situation and intensify efforts to rescue abducted victims.

The latest attack adds to growing security concerns in Niger State, particularly in rural farming communities, where residents continue to face repeated assaults despite ongoing military and police operations across the state.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

spot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque...

UK Jobless Rate Climbs to 5.2% as Economic Pressures Mount

Britain’s unemployment rate has risen to 5.2 percent, marking...

Sophia Momodu’s Legal Team Alleges Intimidation by Davido in Custody Dispute

Punuka Attorneys & Solicitors, legal representatives of Sophia Momodu...

Tensions Flare in Senate as Akpoti-Uduaghan Challenges Committee Exclusion

Fresh drama unfolded in the Nigerian Senate as Natasha...